Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson
Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Trip Up North

At the end of February, Kayla and I headed up North to Idaho for my sister's wedding (pictures from that to come on another post) and to see family. Brett joined us about a week later. It was a wonderful trip and I loved being with so many of our family and friends for a time. I got to see a lot of people I love, though definitely not all of them, and enjoyed a taste of winter. 

We got to enjoy Haley's birthday with her, my dad, and Jon. Her birthday is the day after mine. We went to dinner at one of my favorite places, Pizza Pie Cafe, and had cake at her place. Kayla got to help blow out the candles!

I met up a couple friends for dinner at Applebees. I love Applebees in Pocatello. It holds so many memories for me of college and friends. Marissa and Lynsi didn't know each other but we had a great time all together. It was the first time I'd seen Lynsi since her mission!



Kayla loved the winter weather! Here she is trying to bust outside. When we left for church on Sunday morning, big fluffy snow flakes were falling down and when I carried Kayla to the car, she stopped and pointed up at the snow saying, "OOOH!" My mom borrowed snow clothes and we took her outside to play but she just kept trying to eat the dirty snow. I loved having a taste of winter though. I have really missed having four seasons since we moved to the Valley.


Part of the reason I came out earlier than Brett was to help my mom throw a bridal shower for Haley. We had a lot of fun and a good turn out of our good friends from Soda. I made the cake out of cupcakes that were brownies on the bottom and strawberry cake on top. They were pretty delicious!


Kayla loved watching Aunt Haley open her gifts. She especially loved the popcorn bucket she got. She played with it most the shower. I was glad I was able to go home long enough to do this with my mom for Haley.


Kayla really loved playing with Grandma and Haley. She warmed up to everyone really well on this trip. I love how friendly she is! Everywhere we go she waves and says hi. While we were eating lunch in this photo, there was a table of older ladies playing cards next to us. They were playing peek-a-boo with Kayla and were loving her friendly disposition. I'm so blessed to have to such a happy baby!


When Brett flew in, my mom and I drove to SLC to pick him up. We stopped and saw Cheri and Camille and her kids for a bit and Kayla loved playing her with cousins!




On the way home, we stopped in Brigham City for MADDOX! I LOVE this place. They have the best fried chicken. We go to the drive up portion where they bring your food to your car. Its one of the places we always try to hit up while we're home. While we were waiting, Kayla got her turn at the wheel. :)


My mom is doing some remodeling on her house so Brett and I got to help her with some painting. I actually love painting rooms and I was glad we got to help out a bit. It was nice staying at my mom's house and getting to attend church with her and watch her and Kayla bond. 

The day after Brett arrived, we were able to go through the Idaho Falls Temple with Haley to receive her endowments. That temple will always hold a special place for us, since we were married there. I love the peace the temple brings. The world is crazy and loud and Satan works hard to distract us, but in the sanctuary of the Temple, there is nothing but peace. I especially love being there with Brett. Since Kayla's been born, we haven't been able to go as much together since we usually take turns watching her, but he will always be my favorite temple buddy. :) That being said, it was pretty awesome being there with my whole family. I'm so grateful for the temple and the blessings it brings. We had a late dinner after the session and headed to Pocatello where we stayed with RaeJean. 

The next morning, we got up early to start decorating the church for the reception. I was so glad Brett was there. He's always so willing to do anything he's asked to help out. He went above and beyond helping with the wedding stuff. He kept working while my mom, Haley, and I got pedicures! We must have pretty toes for the wedding. :) Afterwards, Brett, Kayla, and I headed to Idaho Falls again, this time to have lunch with my dear friend Jackie. It was so great catching up with her. We then headed to Rigby where we visited Community Care and got treats at the Caramel Tree. I love being able to see my old friends at Rigby CC. That job will always hold such a special place in my heart and memories and the people there will always be like family. We then stopped off at Channel 8 to see Brett's old crew. We really loved seeing everyone and only wish we had more time to see everyone we know! 

That night, we headed to Logan where Haley was getting married in the morning. We stayed with my good friend Emily. While there, Kayla found these crazy cool slippers that were as big as her. She could barely walk, but it was funny. I loved catching up with Emily and Kayla had fun showing off her dance moves and playing with Noah. 


After the wedding, we had a nice with visit with Grandma Renee. Kayla just about tore that place down, knocking over pictures but Great Grandma had lots of cookies and Kayla loved that! 


While in Pocatello, we also made sure to hit up Tastee Treat. They have the best soft serve ice cream on the planet. And their cones are huge, as you can tell. My friend Toni made the trip from Rexburg to Pocatello to meet us for lunch at Cafe Rio (oh how I miss that place) and then we took her to get ice cream. It was a great afternoon!


It may not look like, but Kayla did enjoy the licks of ice cream she got. :) 



She loved hanging out with Grandpa Kelly on this trip too. I think she may have remembered him from Christmas but either way, she sure loves him. 


We got to visit Grandpa Nip a couple times and it was great catching up with him as well. 


Kayla had fun playing on the swings at Grandma Jean's house. We also had a lot of great food while we were there. Kayla especially loved the chocolate covered raisins that Grandpa Tom kept sneaking her!


Grandma Jean and Kayla

Grandma Betsy, Grandpa Corey and Kayla

After being in Idaho and visiting lots of family and friends, we headed to Utah with RaeJean and Tom to spend a day with Rachel's family before flying back home. We ate lunch at Cafe Rio :) and had a fun afternoon together. We went to the park with the kids after they got home from school. Kayla was loving this car scooter thing they had. She was laughing the whole way to the park. She had a blast with Paige and Elizabeth, but especially liked Dallin. Poor Jake was sick and slept most the time so they didn't get to play together. 




We had a delicious dinner and then birthday cake for Dallin's birthday. We had a great trip and were sad to leave everyone but I was really glad to be home once we got here. Its nice to be back in a routine but we wish were closer to all our family. 


It was a wonderful trip, as always and we can't wait until we can head Up North again. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to visit me on your trip. Every time "Kayla's" song comes on the radio anywhere noah sings it dances to it now. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete