Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson
Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Moving to Idaho!

My oh my! Isn't life just full of surprises? When we moved away from Idaho, we were both pretty sure that we wouldn't be coming back. It didn't seem to be in the cards with Brett's career. We came to deep South Texas and it was quite the change and a bit of a shock. Life here is a lot different in a lot of ways. Number one is probably the weather. I've really struggled with the lack of seasons and the brutal heat is something I haven't gotten used to. The culture here is also very different from home. It too took some major adjustments but I've grown to love it. I've eaten lots of delicious Mexican food, improved my Spanish a lot, and learned a lot about the Hispanic culture that is wonderful.

Then....a few months ago, Brett told me that he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay in the broadcast business. I was surprised but supportive. I want nothing more than for him to be happy in his work because I know how much that influences his overall happiness. With this announcement, he also told me he didn't know exactly what he would do. Literally two days later, Brett got an email from an old acqaintance in Idaho letting him know about this opportunity. We both figured it was a long shot but the more we looked into the prospect, the more excited we became! 

Lots of research, work, prayers, discussions, and fasting encompassed most of our energy. Fast forward to the present and Brett is now the Media Relations and Communications Manager for BYU-Idaho! Its all happening so fast! Movers will be here in a week to pack up all our belongings and ship it back north. When I thought about this prospect, I realized that this was a dream I didn't even dare have for fear of disappointment. Again, I never thought we'd be going back to Idaho. My entire family and Brett's mom and stepdad are all within a couple hours of Rexburg and its such an exciting prospect to be able to spend quality time with family. I'm so excited for Kayla and Tyson to get to know their family. We'll also get to spend more time wih Brett's siblings as they all come out to visit his mom. 

As I thought about the blessing it would be to be close to family, I came to really realize how much we will miss the 'ward family' we've been blessed with here. One of the best things about being a member of the Church is the organization. Wherever you go, you have an built in family full of people with similar lifestyles and goals. We definitely have that here and we will miss them all! We've both also have met a lot of great people through our jobs. There are a alot of people that have taught me so much here. I have created life-long friendships that I will forever cherish. 

Just this evening, I chatted on the phone with one of the young women from our ward that recently moved to college. She is a great friend and I loved being able to catch up with her and hear her testimony growing experiences. I love the people that I've been able to serve here in Texas. I've had a lot of service opportunities through church that I might not have had elsewhere and the experience I've gained is totally invaluable. 

This place will always hold such a special place in my heart because we began our family here! Both Kayla and Tyson were born here and Brett and I have grown together so much! Its been such a blessing to be here and able to establish our family as our own. I know that we have had our trials and opportunities to grow, but I can't deny how incredibly blessed we've been! On top of everything, it looks like we will be able to sell our house quickly and I'm so grateful! 

While there are definitely things I won't miss about South Texas, there are a lot that I will. I'll look back on this phase of life fondly and full of gratitude. Thank goodness for Facebook to keep us involved with everyone that we've come to love down here. Friendships and relationships are some of life greatest blessings and we've had those in abundance in the RGV. 

Now on to th next great chapter of life. One full of outdoors activites (camping, hiking, canoeing,etc.), family traditions, family activities, a better job and schedule for Brett, and the beautiful mountains we've missed so much! And the snow - yes, I've missed that too! I can't wait to have four seasons again! I know we will be so happy in Rexburg and can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for our family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment