Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson
Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Sunday, February 10, 2013

My T-Shirt quilt - Finally!

So I've been meaning to make a t-shirt quilt for a long long time! When we moved here, I loaded up all my old t-shirts from home and filled a whole tote. After being here a few weeks, I got antsy from not having found work yet (plus being homesick) and pulled out the t-shirts to cut them down into the squares I wanted. That was 10 months ago. That's where the project sat until 2 days before Kayla was born.

I knew I wanted to get it done before Kayla was born, but kept putting it off because I wasn't totally confident in how to complete the project. Plus, by the end, I needed to lay it out and bending over was difficult to say the least. My sweet husband was always encouraging me to get it done - he's not a procrastinator like me. :) We finally tackled it together. He would do all the bending and arranging while I oversaw the arranging and began sewing. I think he actually enjoyed the challenge of putting all the t-shirts together in way make them fit together. I'm grateful he was willing to help!

I cut out the front and back of each t-shirt into the square I wanted. I then cut a flannel sheet into the squares and sewed an X through each square, compiled of the t-shirt front, flannel square, and back. We pieced them together matching up the different sizes. I then sewed each column together. At this point, I went into labor, haha! I knew if I started a project I wanted to finish, it would send me into labor. Should have started it sooner!

After we got home and my mom arrived, she helped me finish. I sewed all the columns together and she sat and cut all the edges to make the rag look. I'm really happy with how it turned out. It will be a great camping blanket (if we ever live anywhere cool enough to need a blanket while camping, that is), haha! Its fun to have all these old t-shirts somewhere I can see them and relive the memories they are associated with. From sports teams I was on, plays I was in, concerts I went to, Girl's camp and places I've traveled, it will be a fun  memory display.

 The front

The back

No comments:

Post a Comment