Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson
Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Time with Grandma Betsy and Our Car Wreck!!

So for another leg of our trip home! We were very picture happy on this trip, which I'm grateful for, so enjoy!

My mom drove to Pocatello Wednesday morning to pick us up from RaeJean's house. We then went with her to Idaho Falls and Rigby.  We always try to make it up that way when we come home to see all of our loved ones from that area since we both lived and worked there for so long before we got married. 

We made a stop at the Local News 8 Studio and it was fun to see a few familiar faces, though most of Brett's crew is long gone. 

 

We had some time to kill before meeting up with some friends for lunch, so we headed to the park near the temple. Grandma and Kayla had some fun bonding!

 



  

For lunch,we grabbed sandwiches and headed to the Greenbelt where we ate with Jackie, her baby Harrison, and Toni. I love these girls! They were two of my best friends in Rexburg and I loved catching up with them and meeting Jackie's handsome boy. 

  

 

We wandered around and some man gave us some bread to feed the birds. Even though there are signs everywhere not to do it, everyone does. Kayla took a big bite for herself and then gave the rest to the birds! Haha!

  

I loved wandering around the greenbelt and remembering all the good times we had in Idaho Falls. It was wonderful to reflect on how our eternal family began in that temple 4 years ago. Its such a beautiful city and the weather was perfect!

 


We stopped in Rigby at Community Care and got to see a few of my favorite people! I worked with this little group for over 4 years and they helped shape me into the person I am today. I grew a lot working there and learned so much from everyone I knew. I wish I could have seen everyone, but it was great seeing a few of them. The Community Care crew will always hold a special place in my heart! Best Job Ever!


After having such a great day so far, we headed to dinner, where we were meeting up with several of my family members. On the way there, we were coasting down 17th street in Idaho Falls, when we suddenly slammed into the back of the car in front of us. I swear I never saw any brake lights. Either they weren't working of the kid in front of us never hit the brakes.  Brett didn't have much time to react at all and he wasn't following any more closely than you would in traffic. We were hit from behind by a motorcycle and in total, there were 4 or 5 cars involved in the pileup. The car was totaled. Airbags went off and scraped up Brett's leg. He also hurt his hand from gripping the steering wheel. My mom was in the back with the kids, who both immediately started screaming. I think the sound scared Tyson and Kayla got scared when she saw the airbags and my reaction. I was pretty upset with worry! After assessing that we all were fine, I jumped out to get Kayla out of her carseat to calm her down. Police came and we got everything taken care of, but it was awful! We were going to stop and see some friends just before dinner and they came to the rescue, bringing their van and helping take care of the kids, while we emptied the car, gave statements, worked out towing, etc. My Aunt and Uncle and cousin also drove right past us, so my cousin came back to help. He took Brett to Community Care to get checked out while we headed off to dinner. 

I felt so strange. My adrenaline was wearing off and my mother instincts had been so strong that I was just realizing the reality of the situation. I'm just so thankful we were all ok. My mom ended up having several ribs that needed adjusted and I had some bruises. The kids though were fine. I know Kayla still thinks about it though because she'll randomly come up to me and tell me about Grandma's car being broken and that the guys (tow company) took it away to fix it. For the situation being what it was, we were really lucky. Any other accident scenario could have been much worse. 

  

We headed to dinner, where lots of my family was waiting. We won't be able to head home this summer, so I wanted to organize somewhat of a family get together with those I could while I was in Idaho. My Uncle Tony, Aunt Marie, and Mitch came from Dillon, MT. We got to see Tiffani, Cameron, Kaden and meet her fiance Tim. Shanna and her five kids came too. We also invited the Rivas family that stopped to help us! Haley and Jon came up from Pocatello too. It really was a great get together and I'm glad I got to see and catch up with so many family members. Plus, we ate at one of my favorite pizza places (although I didn't have much of an appetite after the wreck).

I was relieved when Brett finally made it back from the doctor with a clean bill of health. I was worried about him and feeling stressed in general. He really is my rock and I feel so much better when he's with me. 

 



 



 

 

We had planned to drive to Soda that night, but since we had no car, Haley and Jon borrowed some giant suburban from the 80s (no joke!) to bring us and all our stuff back to Poky. We stayed at RaeJean's house again so we could arrange a car for my mom. When we realized her insurance didn't cover a full size sedan, which we needed to carry us all plus our suitcases, etc., Tom and RaeJean graciously let us borrow their car. It was such a blessing and we were so grateful!! 

We drove to Soda Thursday morning and enjoyed the sites of Soda. I had fun showing Kayla around all the places I used to enjoy as a kid and of course, getting some Arctic Circle for lunch! 


 

 

We tried to get Kayla to play on the rocking horse, but she wasn't too excited. Brett and Mom had fun though! 

 

The Kellers stopped by for a visit too, which was so fun!


Kayla warmed up to and fell in love with Grandma's kitties!

 


Brett and I even took the time to go hike 'S' Hill. Its a short hike, but a little steep. It looked like it would rain, but since we never get a chance to hike, we jumped at the chance! It was chilly, but so beautiful! You can see the whole valley from the top and it was really nice to have some alone time. 

 


We even got to soak in the hot tub after the kids went to bed to relax our sore muscles from the wreck and the hike! 

I loved being in all my old stomping grounds! I couldn't ask for a better place to call home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment