Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson
Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Youth Conference!

This weekend, we had our Bi-Stake Youth Conference with the McAllen and McAllen West Stakes. It was one of the bigger undertakings we've had since being called as a Stake Young Women's Presidency. Let me first say that I appreciate so much more the leaders I had as a youth. I always enjoyed the activities and loved my leaders, but now I respect and appreciate them and all their sacrifices and hard work more than I ever have before. So thank you to all the Soda Springs 8th Ward Young Women leaders and the Stake leaders! Thanks for shaping my testimony and providing countless faith building experiences. I will always have a special place in my heart for each of you!

Also, I'm so grateful for the church organization! I loved growing up in the gospel, but I relish the thought that no matter where we live or where we raise our children, they will have the church youth programs to strengthen them the way that Brett and I were strengthened in our youth. I'm so grateful to know my children will have the experiences they need to grow and come unto the Savior. The church is such a blessing in my life. I'm humbled to be able to serve these youth and work with the amazing women I do in my calling. I learn so much from them all and will forever cherish the experiences I've had working with the youth in McAllen.

Our theme for youth conference was Coming Unto Christ Step by Step on Your Journey. The church was filled with maps and street signs - homemade ones, not stolen from the streets. :)
We started off on Friday morning by heading out to help out Habitat for Humanity. What a wonderful organization! They have several houses being built in a neighborhood, so we delivered our 150 youth to do whatever they needed  us to do. They provided the tools and even fed us lunch. The youth really seemed to be loving the work and did a great job! 























On Friday afternoon, we had workshops and food for the youth. All of the speakers were wonderful and I heard nothing but wonderful feedback. Each ward had made a Mormon Messages video and we watched those during dinner. After dinner, we had a dance. They had a Latin dance instructor come teach some fun dance moves. Kayla particularly loved the Latin music and was dancing and twirling the entire time. I love her rhythm!


Our snack bar - Build your own Trail Mix - was a big hit!



On Saturday morning, we reconvened and had a yummy breakfast. After taking our big group picture, we broke up into more workshops. As part of that, Cassie and I had put together an obstacle course. It included a yarn laser maze, scripture mad gab, scripture mastery puzzles, a balance beam and a faith fall. We put so much work into these activities preparation and I loved watching the youth enjoy all of them. Its so gratifying and makes all the work worth it! I'm really blessed to be able to work with the women I do in our presidency! They all teach me so much and set such a wonderful example of service!



Kayla was a champ after being at the church for 12 hours on Friday and 8 hours Saturday. She had lots of people entertaining her while I was working and made some new friends. Brett was also there all the time that he wasn't working. I love that man so much, but having him work along me in my calling and helping me with all the preparations makes me so so so grateful I found such an amazing husband. He truly supports me in my calling, just as he promised he would when I received it. I couldn't do it without him and his help. 

After lunch, Kayla started getting restless, not having had a good nap for a couple days and since my specific responsibilities were over, I headed home. The fun continued though. After a delicious catered dinner, they had a wonderful speaker and musical fireside that the youth had prepared with a powerful testimony meeting. That's the one thing I really wish I could have heard, but being a mom is my number one calling. I pray that these youth are truly having their testimonies strengthened as they head out into this crazy world of ours. 

Kayla and I hanging out in the mother's room while I tried
to get her to take a nap, to no avail. 

Kayla playing on the photo booth set. 
After the fireside, they had another dance. Our ward tied for first place with the Mormon Messages video. I really did love that video! It was so well done. I love seeing what the youth can do and their sharing of their talents!


Now that the weekend is over, we can all take a break and some deep breaths.......for a few days. Mini-missions are coming up in a few weeks, so the work is never done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment