Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson
Brett, Heather, Kayla, and Tyson

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Why I Blog

I have been reading a blog that I've recently found and love. Stephanie Neilson's blog has been something that is completely inspiring to me. I read her book "Heaven is Here" last month and have heard about her terrible plane crash and subsequent recovery in the past, but while reading her book, I was humbled and inspired. I would suggest it to anyone! She also has had some wonderful Mormon Messages done about her journey. Check out her most recent video here.

As I was reading her blog, I came across a post where she talked about why she blogs. It got me to thinking about why I blog. I came into the world of blogging much later than most. I never felt like I had much to say about my life before becoming a mother. Now, that I've gotten into it, I see that is not true. Its not just about showing off cute kids, but cataloging memories, recording feelings, and journaling. While I treasure motherhood, I have had a fun and adventurous life before this phase and wish I would have chronicled those days better. 

Initially, I came into the blogging task from a logical approach. I knew that people on Facebook would become tired of me over-sharing the cuteness of my baby so a blog would be a much better outlet for me to post photos, events, etc. for my family and close friends to see. So, my reason was just that - catalog Kayla's adventures. Now, there have been times in my life when I was very diligent in my journal writing. Unfortunately, the past several years, I would write every few months or with major life events. I have LOVED how blogging has allowed and motivated me to keep up on my "journal" so to speak. I do still have a personal journal for thoughts that need not be shared with the world, but this has been fun and exciting for me. That is the practical reason that I blog.

Reading Stephanie Nielson's blog post got me to thinking though. She talked about the reasons she blogs being her children, her husband, and her faith. I really appreciated what she said and decided that I too want to be more direct in my purpose of blogging. So here is what I came up with.

I blog because I want Kayla to know how much I love her. I want her to know how excited we were for her to join our family. I want her to know what joy she has brought into our world. I blog because I want Kayla to know that motherhood is my greatest job. I want her to know about my testimony of the Savior. I want her to know how much I love her father and how wonderful he is.  I want her to learn how to focus on the joys that life brings and learn from the trials. I blog because I like to praise Brett publicly. I like to brag about how amazing he is as a husband and as a father. I like to declare my love for my husband.  I blog because I want the people in my life to know that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that I have a testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel. I blog because I want to document my gratitude for my many many blessings. 

Now I know that these things should be expressed through every day living, and not just in a blog, but I'm not perfect. While I always try to express my feelings in my daily life, there will surely be days when I don't express my love the way I should. There will be days that I'm frustrated as a parent. There will be hard days in life. That's why I'm grateful I've been blogging the past year. One night, I couldn't sleep. I got on my blog and started reading old posts. I loved it! (and not because I'm an amazing writer) but because life is wonderful. Not perfect, but wonderful. It has its ups and downs, but when I'm down, I can come back and focus on the ups! I hope that Kayla will be able to read these posts someday and enjoy them. 

Some might say that's exactly what a journal is and I would agree. But for some reason, I've stayed much more motivated at keeping up a blog. I also love the accompanying photos. Finally, there is something to be said about public praise and gratitude. So, there you go. That is why I blog. As life becomes busier, and our family grows, or the new-ness of a blog wears off, maybe I'll taper back a bit, but for now, I'm grateful for blogging. I'm also grateful for all those others who blog and share their memories, experiences, and feelings with the world. I have been enlightened by them all. Life is a joy and remembering that only enhances our joy! This quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley sums up my feelings nicely. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment